tweet button

Thursday, September 15, 2011

What Does Setting Realistic Exercise Goals Really Mean?

A couple of weeks ago, I set the goal of exercising for 500 minutes per week, which translates into 8.33 hours per week.  By the end of that week, I adjusted that goal to 420 minutes per week, which translates into 7 hours per week.   Twelve days in I knew I was going to have to adjust again.

On day 16 I knew if I kept a goal that I consistently could not reach I would hate myself and probably eat to punish myself.  Knowledge is power.

I have now reset my goal to exercising an "average" of 300 minutes per week which translates into 5 hours per week or an average of 42.86 minutes per day.  
The key word is "average."  I can do less than or more than 300 on any given week, and still meet my goal.  THIS GOAL IS DOABLE!!!

I am just excited that I have matured enough to see the forest for the trees.  Instead of complete abandonment of the exercise goal, I have regrouped, reassessed, and tweaked the plan.  I am so smart!

You know why I just said that, don't you?  Because that is what I would have said (You are SO smart!) to someone else who had accomplished a comparable task.  I am very good at patting other people on the back, but not so good at treating myself with the same amount of love and respect.

I am on track with my new goal.  If I have a bad couple of days, I can give myself a break.  The system has a built-in fail safe.  I was up late studying for a quiz the other night and legitimately needed to sleep an extra 30 minutes the next morning, but I can make up that time over the next week or two.  I am so excited!

Word of the day:  DOABLE!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're tweaking the plan to fit your needs instead of letting it make or break you. I have the bad habit myself of committing to an exercise plan only to fall of completely because I'm not meeting my original goal. All or nothing, it seems. I'm going to try your strategy. Something is better than nothing!

    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tara

      I saw your comment on this blog and just wanted to reach out to you.

      I struggled with weight loss for quite some time.
      Tried everything of course (don't we all).

      However, I was lucky to have a friend who provided me with
      a lot of support. I'm sure that alone saved my life.

      Now I try to do the same for others. I want to help
      others get out of the situation I was in. It meant
      so much for me to have them there so I'd like to do
      the same for you.

      Feel free to add me as a friend on your journey and let me
      know when times get tough, I'm here for you.

      It was extremely difficult for me to lose weight.
      I still have nightmares. It's tough but you can do it.

      It sucks, but there was one thing aside from my
      friend that helped me out. There's a unique course
      called "The Diet Solution" that was one of the easier ones to follow.

      Yea, it was still tough but it did help me manage and
      I was finally able to lose the weight.

      You might want to check it out yourself:

      http://bit.ly/WXnqpk


      I do wish you the best and again please hit me back

      Delete