tweet button

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Losses and gains

I started this blog primarily for myself and to reflect and flesh out my thoughts, but I also started it to share thoughts that might help someone else in some small way. 

Truly I am an optimist otherwise I would not have survived my life to date as it has been a bumpy ride to say the least.  I must share some of the "stuff" so that those who might feel that I "don't understand" will know that I do.  I will try to be measured as to how much I reveal and how soon.

Today, I will share this with you.  I have lost a net of 20 pounds since January 1, 2009.  The net consists of a total loss of 40 pounds with a regain of 20.  I found myself not dealing with the stress of school this past fall.  Between October 2010 and May 2011, I managed to gain  20 pounds.  Fall semester was stressful in one way and the spring semester was stressful in a different way.  Either way, I gained weight.

 But I will prevail!  You will prevail!

Some people have said to me, "Don't worry, it is just the freshman 15."  Well, the fact is that I am not a freshman.  Technically, I have been a senior for 25 years, though this program classified me as a junior this past year.  I started back to school in January of 2009 and intentionally lost weight slowly but steadily until October 2010.

There were lessons for me about life between October 2010 and May 2011.  Were the primary lessons directly about my weight?  Of course not!  The lessons were mostly about people and secondarily about handling stress in a proactive way instead of a reactive way .  Haven't you heard that old saying that life would be great if we didn't have to deal with all the people?  But deal with people we must!

I am determined to learn the lessons that have been provided for me and move into the future as a wiser and more in-sync-with-my-life person.

Word of the day:  Prevail

No comments:

Post a Comment